Once a year, the Los Angeles tour company Esotouric makes a very special excursion – CRAWLING DOWN CAHUENGA; TOM WAITS' L.A. In this brief clip from the 2011 tour, host David Smay shows off the unassuming Echo Park alley where legendary cinematographer Haskell Wexler shot Waits' "In The Neighborhood" video, and talks about his favorite things about being an Esotouric tour guide for the day. More tour info here. Buy David Smay's "Swordfishtrombones" book here.
- Responding to Steve Hodel’s claim that Esotouric cares about money, not truth, in the case of Black Dahlia murder victim Beth Short October 31, 2023
- Save the Parrot Tree at Santa Ana Main Library August 31, 2023
- The Literary Map of Los Angeles July 26, 2023
- Haunts & Havens of Charles Bukowski self-guided tour July 26, 2023
- The Raymond Chandler Map of Los Angeles (vintage and new) July 26, 2023
Top Posts & Pages
- The Strange Similarities Between Elisa Lam and Beth Short, aka The Black Dahlia
- Scoop: What the heck is happening at Skid Row Housing Trust?
- Scoop: What the hell is happening at the Hotel Cecil?
- Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd... that you can explore in 3-D while listening to Lana Del Rey's song about Jergins Tunnel?
- Monument to L.A.'s Visionary City Planner Calvin Hamilton Missing From Bunker Hill
- A Rare Tour of Dr. George Hodel's Whimsically Weird Childhood House
- Demolition threatens Edith Northman's 1927 Boyle Heights road house
- The King Edward Hotel: Empty No More
- Ghost Building: The El Mirador Apartments
- Sister Aimee's Castle
3d 19th century 20th century 1920s adaptive reuse art deco boyle heights craig sauer crime scene decorative art demolition by neglect downtown los angeles featured content historic-cultural monument historic preservation hollywood house museum jose huizar los angeles river los angeles times national register onni group public corruption public policy redevelopment road trip signage skid row spanish colonial revival william l. pereira