Once a year, the Los Angeles tour company Esotouric makes a very special excursion – CRAWLING DOWN CAHUENGA; TOM WAITS' L.A. In this brief clip from the 2011 tour, host David Smay shows off the unassuming Echo Park alley where legendary cinematographer Haskell Wexler shot Waits' "In The Neighborhood" video, and talks about his favorite things about being an Esotouric tour guide for the day. More tour info here. Buy David Smay's "Swordfishtrombones" book here.
- Firestone Tire and Rubber Company Tile Murals — Destroyed? November 23, 2020
- Peeling Back The Decades at the Baltimore Hotel November 6, 2020
- How We Turned Our COVID-Shuttered Los Angeles Tour Company Into A Webinar Production House October 29, 2020
- The Getty’s Gift to Locked Down Los Angeles: 71,139 Ed Ruscha Vintage Streetscape Photos Digitized September 5, 2020
- Archeological Explorations in Downtown’s Mayan Theatre September 4, 2020
Top Posts & Pages
- Firestone Tire and Rubber Company Tile Murals — Destroyed?
- The Strange Similarities Between Elisa Lam and Beth Short, aka The Black Dahlia
- Urgent! Sister Corita Kent's Art Studio Threatened With Demolition
- The Getty's Gift to Locked Down Los Angeles: 71,139 Ed Ruscha Vintage Streetscape Photos Digitized
- The Baltimore Hotel, Empty No More
- A Rare Tour of Dr. George Hodel's Whimsically Weird Childhood House
- The Eagle Tree: Dead or Alive?
- Attention, Joan Crawford Lovers: The Mildred Pierce House is For Lease!
- How We Turned Our COVID-Shuttered Los Angeles Tour Company Into A Webinar Production House
- Sister Aimee's Castle
3d 19th century 20th century 1920s adaptive reuse art deco boyle heights bunker hill craig sauer crime scene decorative art demolition by neglect downtown los angeles featured content graffiti historic-cultural monument historic preservation hollywood house museum lacma los angeles times national register neon public policy redevelopment road trip signage spanish colonial revival william l. pereira wilshire boulevard