Fourth & Main, Downtown Los Angeles’ Most Fascinating Intersection Webinar
May 8 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Every tourist in Los Angeles knows to visit Hollywood and Vine on the Walk of Fame. But when Los Angeles was young, the corner a visitor must not miss was Fourth and Main, in the heart of Skid Row.
Join Esotouric, L.A.’s most eclectic sightseeing tour company, for an immersive cultural, culinary, erotic and architectural history webinar exploring a century’s lore unfolding at and around one incredible intersection. You’ll be amazed by all that happened here!
Featured topics include:
- A virtual tour of the public and off-limits spaces of the 1896 Van Nuys/Barclay, the oldest continuously operating hotel in the city, and site of a unique L-shaped subterranean service tunnel beneath the sidewalk.
- Tales of the Follies burlesque house, including legendary performances, vice busts and a failed historic preservation effort.
- A peep inside Good Fellows Grotto, Downtown’s great lost surf and turf restaurant.
- The soaring Westminster Hotel, its legendary Hippodrome Theatre and the block’s strange afterlife as a boxing gym and parking lot.
- Woody Guthrie Square, the folk singer’s deep ties to the neighborhood, and why the historic marker might be in the wrong place.
- The CRA redevelopment scheme that gave us The Old Bank District and Art Walk.
- Plus the Skid Row Slasher serial killing spree, a case with fascinating affinities to the Jack the Ripper case in Victorian London.
And much more to be revealed! This webinar is an illustrated lecture packed with rare photos that will bring the history of 4th & Main in Downtown Los Angeles to life. And you’ll find the look of an Esotouric webinar is a little different than your standard dry Zoom session, with lively interactive graphics courtesy of the mmhmm app.
After the presentation, Kim and Richard will answer your questions, so get ready to be a part of the show.
Can’t join in when the webinar is happening? You’ll have access to the full replay for one week. Please note: the 90 minute running time is just an estimate, and we often run long because the stories take on a life of their own. You can always come back and watch the last part of the webinar recording later.
So, tune in and discover the incredible history of Los Angeles, with the couple whose passion for the city is infectious.
FYI: Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join the webinar. The webinar is reliable on all devices, Mac, PC, iOS and Android.
To sign up, enter your name and email address and click the “Buy Ticket” button below. If for any reason the check out page doesn’t appear, just click this link.
Please visit our FAQ for details about our webinars.
About Esotouric: As undergraduates at UC Santa Cruz, Kim Cooper and Richard Schave inexplicably hated one another on sight. (Perhaps less inexplicably, their academic advisor believed they were soul mates). A chance meeting 18 years later proved much more agreeable. Richard wooed Kim with high level library database access, with which she launched the 1947project true crime blog, highlighting a crime a day from the year of The Black Dahlia and Bugsy Siegel slayings. The popular blog’s readers demanded a tour, and then another. The tour was magical, a hothouse inspiring new ways for the by-then-newlyweds to tell the story of Los Angeles. Esotouric was born in 2007 with a calendar packed with true crime, literary, architecture and rock and roll tours. Ever since, it has provided a platform for promoting historic preservation issues (like the Save the 76 Ball campaign and the landmarking of Charles Bukowski’s bungalow), building a community of urban explorers (including dozens of free talks and tours under the umbrella of LAVA) and digging even deeper into the secret heart of the city they love.
Rights and permissions: By attending an Esotouric webinar, you acknowledge that the entirety of the presentation is copyrighted, and no portion of the video or text may be reproduced in any fashion.