Listen to Episode #112!
Join us as talk with Michael Weinstein, President and co-founder of AIDS Healthcare Foundation, about his work in helping to establish the Chris Brownlie AIDS Hospice at Barlow Sanitarium in Elysian Park, the first such hospice in Los Angeles County. We’ll also visit with Sallie Neubauer, past president of the Citizens Committee to Save Elysian Park and an activist and advocate for the park for more than three decades.
We’ll also discuss the disappointing winning design in the First and Broadway Park competition, an out of state developer’s proposal to gut the 1924 Cecil Hotel, concerns about the unlandmarked Los Angeles Times compound as rumors of a sale circulate, our preservation campaign saves Boyle Heights’ Peabody-Werden House, the last Van De Kamp’s windmill sign is restored, and confusion about the ground lease for Angels Flight Railway.
All this and more as Kim & Richard usher in the month of July 2016.
Closely Watched Trains, Upcoming Events & URLs for Podcast
This Episode’s Interviews
Michael Weinstein’s organization AIDS Healthcare Foundation.
USC’s Citizens Committee to Save Elysian Park history.
Sallie Neubauer protests the renaming of Elysian Park Avenue.
Closely Watched Trains & Upcoming Events
Mia Lehrer’s design chosen for First and Broadway Park.
Developer proposes gutting the 1924 Cecil Hotel.
Arcadia’s Van De Kamp’s windmill sign spins again.
July’s LAVA Sunday Salon
Upcoming Bus Tours
- Pasadena Confidential – Saturday, July 9th
- The Real Black Dahlia – Saturday, July 16th
- Haunts of A Dirty Old Man: Charles Bukowski’s Los Angeles – Saturday, July 23rd
- In A Lonely Place: Raymond Chandler’s Los Angeles – Saturday July 30th
- South L.A. Road Trip: Hot Rods, Adobes, Googie & Early Modernism – Sunday, August 7th
- Boyle Heights & The San Gabriel Valley: The Hidden Histories of L.A.’s Melting Pot – Saturday, August 13th
- Lowdown on Downtown – Saturday, August 20th
- The Birth of Noir: James M. Cain’s Southern California Nightmare – Saturday, September 10th
- Hotel Horrors & Main Street Vice – Saturday, September 17th
- Blood & Dupmlings – Saturday, September 24th