On April 8, 2010, the City of Los Angeles officially designated the corner of Fifth and Grand at the foot of Bunker Hill as John Fante Square. To watch a film of that ceremony, featuring speakers Councilwoman Jan Perry, Fante Square nominator Richard Schave of Esotouric, John Fante’s children Vickie Fante Cohen, Jim Fante and Dan Fante, his biographer Stephen Cooper, resident of Historic Bunker Hill Gordon Pattison, Tom Hyry from UCLA Special Collection and Louise Steinman of the L.A. Public Library’s Aloud program, click below.
- City of Los Angeles: Don’t Demolish the Lincoln Heights Jail! May 14, 2023
- Just another Thursday night in the City of Angels. May 12, 2023
- Bungalow Court Housing in Los Angeles Mapped March 30, 2023
- Former Los Angeles Deputy Mayor Raymond Chan, on trial for racketeering, wrote a smarmy LADBS leadership guide… and we’ve got it! March 29, 2023
- Help Save the Mabel Normand Studio Bungalow at Sunset Junction March 14, 2023
Top Posts & Pages
- Scoop: What the hell is happening at the Hotel Cecil?
- Scoop: What the heck is happening at Skid Row Housing Trust?
- The Hotel Barclay, Empty No More
- Bungalow Court Housing in Los Angeles Mapped
- Seeking Answers about the Rancho Los Amigos / Los Angeles County Poor Farm Potter's Field Cemetery
- A Rare Tour of Dr. George Hodel's Whimsically Weird Childhood House
- The Strange Similarities Between Elisa Lam and Beth Short, aka The Black Dahlia
- Pasadena's recently rediscovered Adohr Milk Farms neon sign and bad research about Nat King Cole's racist neighbors
- Save and Move The Last Chili Bowl Restaurant in Los Angeles
- La Fe Shoe Repair, A Downtown L.A. Time Capsule in the Barclay Hotel
3d (13) 19th century (25) 20th century (121) 1920s (12) adaptive reuse (30) art deco (11) boyle heights (9) craig sauer (13) crime scene (19) decorative art (16) demolition by neglect (38) downtown los angeles (56) featured content (9) historic-cultural monument (42) historic preservation (106) hollywood (19) jose huizar (16) los angeles river (10) los angeles times (13) national register (14) neon (8) onni group (9) public corruption (15) public policy (43) redevelopment (53) road trip (10) signage (18) skid row (9) spanish colonial revival (11) william l. pereira (17)