Until Next Week
Thanks for tuning in to our latest Esotouric webinar. The next program will be announced soon. If you can’t wait, you can choose from a growing library of On-Demand webinars.
SPECIAL LINKS FOR THIS WEEK:
• Edward Landler – “I Build the Tower” Watts Towers feature documentary and new trailer, city planning documents for 10341 South Graham Avenue development across from the Watts Towers, why is the development a bad idea, STOP THE DEAL! Protect the Watts Towers and its Community! video and website, Rose Gales, matriarch of L.A.’s jazz community, still strikes a chord, The World Stage.
• Steven Luftman – The Mendel and Mabel Meyer Courtyard Apartments at 118-126 North Flores Street (HCM #1096, PDF link), Orange Street Gateway Châteaux South and North at 6400 and 6401 West Orange Street (HCMs #1192-93, PDF link), Fairfax Theatre landmarking campaign, Beverly Fairfax District website, Friends of Lytton Savings.
• Nathan Marsak – A Visit to Lost Bunker Hill with Nathan Marsak webinar, On Bunker Hill blog, Bunker Hill Los Angeles blog, R.I.P. Los Angeles blog, Cranky Preservationist videos. Newsletter signup. Get his books and zines: Bunker Hill Los Angeles: Essence of Sunshine and Noir, Bunker Noir! True Crime on Los Angeles’s Bunker Hill, Los Angeles Neon.
• Gordon Pattison – Contributions to the On Bunker Hill blog, Radio interview: A man who grew up on Bunker Hill says ‘Get Angels Flight running again!’, Old Bunker Hill: One Family’s Perspective LAVA Sunday Salon video, Lost Bunker Hill & the 2nd Street Cable Car LAVA Sunday Salon video, Remembering John Fante atop Angels Flight video, Ghosts of the Castle of old Bunker Hill video.
• David Silvas – Breed Street Shul Menorah Lighting ceremony, Boyle Heights Community Partners, Boyle Heights Community Plan, L.A. Taco reporting on the Vicente Fernandez street naming discussion at Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council PLUC Committee.
Featured image backstory video: The Anna Zacsek Compound — The History of Sunset Boulevard,
Related Esotouric webinars, walking tour videos and podcasts
Webinars: In the Shadow of the Hotel Cecil: A Main Street Time Travel Webinar, Learning from Boyle Heights webinar, Fourth & Main: Downtown Los Angeles’ most fascinating intersection webinar, A Downtown Los Angeles Treasure Hunt webinar, Los Angeles Historic Preservation 1900s-1980s webinar, Know Your Los Angeles County Poor Farm / Rancho Los Amigos (1888-?).
You Can’t Eat the Sunshine podcast episodes: A Farewell to the Caravan Bookstore & the Challenges Facing L.A. #125 (Donald Spivack, former Deputy Director of Policy & Operations for the CRA-LA, talks about the two biggest challenges facing Los Angeles: Homelessness and Open Space), Renovation & Renewal in Skid Row’s Affordable Housing Stock #101, Castles & Lofts #24 (Donald Spivack on the public policies and development projects that spearheaded the rebirth of Downtown LA’s historic core, and the challenges facing this fast-changing, mixed-use community), Speed Shops, Strip Clubs, Quarks & the Future of Downtown LA #53 (Erick Lopez, a Los Angeles City Planner, walks about about zoning changes intended to create a more transit- and pedestrian-oriented city, and new tools for development for Downtown L.A.), The Homeless and the Loft Dwellers: Public Policy Approaches to Housing in Downtown Los Angeles and Beyond #108 (in this 2016 episode Patricia Diefenderfer, Senior City Planner with the City of Los Angeles talks about the then new HI or Hybrid Industrial Live/Work Zone Ordinance, and Peter Lynn, then Executive Director of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, talks about the programs which exist and resources which are allocated through his office), Temples & Transformations #44 (a 2013 talk with Tom Rothmann, the Senior City Planner charged with revamping Los Angeles’ nearly 70-year-old municipal zoning code for the needs of the 21st Century)
• Stay informed about upcoming Esotouric happenings by signing up for the Newsletter (free or paid edition).
yours for Los Angeles,
Kim & Richard
Photo by Max Shapovalov.