If you’re curious about Charles Bukowski’s Los Angeles and can’t get on our tour, here are some suggestions.
• Pick up our pocket guide Haunts and Havens of Charles Bukowski in paperback or ebook, in a new edition revised for 2022.
• Watch our On-Demand webinar, This is Charles Bukowski’s Los Angeles or listen to our second audio track commentary on Imprint Film’s Blu-Ray reissue of Barfly (1987).
• Read his books. Just getting started? We recommend the novels Post Office and Women and the poetry collection The Pleasures of the Damned.
• Tune in to You Can’t Eat The Sunshine podcast Episode #67, featuring poet Joan Jobe Smith talking about her mentor Bukowski. Also available, her spicy memoir Tales of an Ancient Go-Go Girl.
• Explore his childhood home on Longwood Avenue through our photos, thrill to the contentious campaign to preserve his DeLongpre Avenue bungalow and read our investigation into illegal Airbnb bookings on that property.
• Take Tony Millionaire’s Bukbird character into your heart, as a T-shirt, mug or fine art poster.
• Celebrate Bukowski’s life and work by watching 20 Years After: Charles Bukowski Memorial filmed at the King Eddy Saloon, featuring readings from five notable L.A. poets and Bukowski friends: Dan Fante, S.A. Griffin, Suzanne Lummis, Joan Jobe Smith and Fred Voss. Plus: King Eddy speakeasy tour video and the John Fante Square dedication ceremony.
• Learn about our petition to get Bukowski honored with a US postal stamp.
• Take a virtual Esotouric tour by viewing photos from a past outing.